Last updated on January 4th, 2019 at 06:02 pm
Prednisolone eye drops are usually prescribed by an eye expert. Unless you’ve been told otherwise, use the drops frequently every 1-2 hours till your symptoms are controlled, and then numerous times a day for a further couple of days.
Eye drops can cause blurred vision when first put in. Do not drive and do not use tools or devices till your vision is clear again.
About Prednisolone Eye Drops
|Type of medicine||Corticosteroid eye drops|
|Used for||To treat eye inflammation in adults or children|
|Also called||Predsol®; Pred Forte®; Minims® Prednisolone sodium phosphate|
|Available as||Eye drops and single-dose units|
Prednisolone eye drops are used to treat short-term inflammatory eye conditions. They are normally prescribed by an eye expert. They include a corticosteroid (sometimes called a ‘steroid’) which helps to eliminate swelling, soreness and inflammation.
Before Using Prednisolone Eye Drops
To make sure this is the right treatment for you, prior to you begin using prednisolone drops it is necessary that your doctor understands:
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to any eye drops or any other medications.
- If you think you might have an eye infection.
- If you use soft contact lenses.
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- If you are taking other medicines. This consists of any medications you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, as well as organic and complementary medicines.
How to Use Prednisolone Eye Drops
- Wash your hands well prior to you use the drops.
- Remove the cap (or twist off the suggestion of an unit if you are using single-dose Minims ®)
- Tilt your head back a little and pull the lower lid of your eye downwards to form a pocket.
- Hold the bottle (or single-dose unit) upside down near to your eye. Try not to touch your eye as you do this.
- Apply sufficient pressure to gently release one drop into your eye. Only use a 2nd drop if the first drop missed going into your eye.
- Close your eye for a minute or two and press gently on the side of your nose where the corner of your eye meets your nose. This helps to stop the drop from draining away and keeps it in your eye.
- Repeat the procedure in your other eye if you have been told to use the drops in both eyes. (The contents of one single-dose unit suffice for both eyes.)
- Change the cap (or if you are using the single-dose unit, toss it away).
Read also: How to put in eye drops easily
How to Increase Effectiveness of Prednisone Acetate Eye Drops
- Prior to you use the eye drops, check out the maker’s printed details leaflet from the pack. It will give you more info about the eye drops and will provide you with a complete list of the side-effects which you might experience from using them.
- Use the eye drops exactly as your doctor tells you to. It is normal to use the drops often during the first two days till your symptoms are managed – generally every 1-2 hours while you are awake. As soon as your eye begins to feel much better, reduce the frequency of using the drops to 4 times a day for an additional few days, then stop.
- Prednisolone eye drops are just indicated to be used for a brief period of time. Do not use them for longer than one week unless your doctor encourages you otherwise. This is since they can cause problems within your eye when used for longer than advised.
- Take care not to touch the tip of the dropper with your eye, fingers, or other surface area. This will help to prevent the risk of infection.
- When first put in, eye drops can cause blurred vision. This ought to quickly clear, however ensure you can see properly before you own or prior to you use tools or machines, as otherwise you may put yourself and others at risk.
- If you are using other eye drops or eye ointments, leave 5-10 minutes in between using every one. This is to prevent more liquid going into your eye than it can deal with. Otherwise the drops will overflow from your eye and might not have the desired impact.
- If your symptoms do not enhance within a few days, or if they worsen, inspect once again with your doctor.
- If you generally wear contact lenses, please wear your spectacles instead up until your doctor recommends you that it appropriates for you to wear your lenses once again. There are two reasons for this – you need to not use lenses while your eyes are inflamed, and bottles of eye drops contain a preservative which can affect some soft contact lenses.
Prednisolone Eye Drops Side Effects
In addition to their useful impacts, eye drops can cause undesirable side-effects although not everyone experiences them. The table listed below consists of the most common ones connected with prednisolone eye drops. You will find a complete list in the manufacturer’s details leaflet supplied with your drops. Unwanted results frequently improve as your body adapts to a new medicine but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following continue or end up being troublesome.
|Prednisolone eye drop side-effects ||What can I do if I experience this?|
|Mild discomfort or irritation||This should quickly pass. If the discomfort continues, speak with your doctor|
|Blurred vision||This usually disappears within a few minutes. Do not drive and do not use tools or machines while affected|
Periodically people can be adverse eye drops, particularly if the eye drops contain a preservative. If you discover a rash around your eyes, or any swelling or itching, stop using the drops and call a doctor for guidance. If you experience other symptoms which you believe might be because of the eye drops, talk to your doctor or pharmacist for more suggestions.
How to Store Prednisolone Eye Drops
- Keep all medications out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, far from direct heat and light.
- Eye drops just keep for four weeks as soon as the bottle has been opened so throw away the bottle after your course of treatment is finished, even if there is some solution left. This will assist to prevent the risk of eye infections.
- Single-dose systems ought to be used as soon as the unit is opened. Do not keep opened systems to re-use at a later time.